File a Complaint

File a Complaint

The Human Relations Commission (HRC) accepts complaints based upon discrimination in employment, housing, or public accommodations against a protected class. If you believe you have experienced discrimination, you can file a complaint. Read, print, and complete the 2-page form found here: Intake Form. Mail (or hand deliver) the completed 2-page form to:

City of Shreveport Human Relations Commission
505 Travis Street, Suite 200
Shreveport, LA 71101

You may also obtain a copy of the 2-page form at the Travis street address above. Complaints must be filed within six(6) months of the alleged act of discrimination. Be sure to read the complaint form carefully so that you are aware that:
  • There are limitations on the authority of the HRC (e.g., the HRC cannot get your job back);
  • There may be other possible laws and organizations that can help you;
  • Any fine levied by the HRC goes to the City of Shreveport and not to the complainant.

Complaint Process

All complaints will be handled according to the HRC's Rules of Practice and Procedure:
  • The 2-page complaint form is completed, signed, and submitted.
  • The HRC forms a panel to hear the complaint.
  • Mediation is offered to resolve the complaint.
  • If mediation is refused or fails, the panel hears the complaint.
  • The panel issues a decision which may include a fine.
  • The panel's decision can be appealed by either party to the full HRC.
  • The full HRC issues a decision which may include a fine.