The Shreveport Police Department is always searching for men and women who are able to meet the challenge of becoming one of Shreveport’s finest.
- Must be a U.S. citizen
- Must be at least 21 years old to take the state civil service exam. There is no maximum age limit
- Must have a valid driver’s license, be in general good health, pass an extensive background check, have no felony convictions, and be of good moral character
Civil Service Examination
State civil service examinations for the position of police officer are offered by the Shreveport Police Department and other police agencies throughout Louisiana.
Test scores are transferable and are valid for up to 18 months. Applicants for communications officer do not have to take the test in Shreveport. Jailer applicants must test in Shreveport. Information regarding testing dates and locations are available by calling the state civil service hotline at 225-925.4567.
Consideration For Employment
To be considered for employment, applicants must successfully complete all of the following:
- Applicant review board (police applicants only)
- Civil service examination
- Complete medical examination
- Drug screen
- Extensive background investigation
- Physical fitness assessment (police and jailer applicants)
- Polygraph examination
- Psychological examination