Citizen's Fire Academy
Saving Lives & PropertyThe Citizen’s Fire Academy is the newest training program offered by the Shreveport Fire Department. This program is designed for community leaders and other citizens who have a genuine desire to reduce the number of lives lost and the amount of property damage in our city. This program covers departmental policies, procedures, staffing and the why's of the Fire Department operations.
This 10 day dynamic program will provide knowledge in:
- Fire prevention
- Hazardous material identification
- Extinguisher training
- Basic first aid
- Cardio-pulmonary resuscitation (CPR)
Goals & Objectives
- To assist the participant in developing an awareness of the Fire Department’s organizational structure, operational procedures and its general mission.
- To strengthen community support for the Department.
- To develop a commitment between community leaders, administration, and departmental staff members to decrease the loss of life and property through training and education.
When Is the CourseThe course participants meet once a week at a designated location for 10 weeks. Classes meet from 6 to 9 p.m. and requires a commitment from the citizens to attend all sessions. Students are to provide their own transportation to and from each class. Casual clothing is recommended.
PoliciesThe following policies are in effect for the Shreveport Fire Department Citizen ’s Fire Academy. All citizens enrolling in the program are expected to follow these policies:
- Classes will be three hours in length beginning at 6 p.m. and ending at 9 p.m. All classes will start on time and participants are encouraged to be on time and to return on time from breaks.
- Attendance is an important part of the course, therefore, any student missing more than two classes will not receive a diploma at graduation.
- In accordance with city policy, no tobacco use is allowed inside Fire Department buildings or vehicles.
- It is requested that no shorts, tank tops or t-shirts are permitted during classes. In addition, no high heel shoes during field trips or exercises. It is recommended that slacks or jeans be worn for outside activities.
- You will wear your Citizen’s Fire Academy ID tag at all times when riding with the Fire Department. At no time will you be required to take part in an emergency scene operation.