Reasonable Modification Statement
General. A public accommodation shall make reasonable modifications in policies, practices, or procedures, when the modifications are necessary to provide its services, programs, facilities and activities to individuals with disabilities, unless the public accommodation can demonstrate that making the modifications would fundamentally alter the nature of services, programs, facilities and activities.
(b) Specialties --
Reasonable Modification: Public Transportation
Department of Transportation (DOT) issues regulations implementing the transportation and related provisions of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, as amended. These regulations apply broadly to both public and private entities and to almost all types of transportation services, including fixed route bus and rail (e.g., commuter, rapid, and light rail), complementary paratransit, demand responsive service and ferry service.
SPORTRANwill make reasonable modifications to its policies, programs, and procedures applicable to its transportation services, when necessary to avoid discrimination and ensure accessibility for people with disabilities.
- Cause a direct threat to the health and safety of others
- Create undue financial and administrative burdens
- Constitute a fundamental alteration to a service
- • Not necessary to provide equal access to an SPORTRAN service
- Individuals requesting modifications shall describe what they need in order to use the service.
- Individuals requesting modifications are not required to use the term “reasonable modification” when making a request.
- Whenever feasible, requests for modifications shall be made and determined in advance, before the transportation provider is expected to provide the modified service, for example, during the para-transit eligibility process, through customer service inquiries, or through SPORTRAN compliant process.
- Where a request for modification cannot practicably be made and determined in advance (e.g., because of a condition or barrier at the destination of which the individual with a disability was unaware until arriving), operating personnel of SPORTRAN shall make a determination of whether the modification should be provided at the time of the request. Operating personnel may consult with SPORTRAN management before making a determination to grant or deny the request.