- ADA - Americans with Disabilities Act
- Reasonable Modification Statement
Reasonable Modification Statement
In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and directives, the City will make every effort, to ensure that a persons with a disabilities have access to and benefits from programs, activities,facilities and services.
ADA - Sec.36.302 Modifications in policies, practices, or procedures.
What Is A Reasonable Modification?
A reasonable modification is a change or exception to a policy, practice, or procedure that allows people with disabilities to have equal access to services, programs, facilities and activities. Reasonable modifications must always be related to the individual’s specific limitation caused by the disability.
When requesting a reasonable modification to a City program or service, an individual with a disability is not required to provide a medical documentation or diagnosis to justify their request, but they must be able to explain how their disability is related to the requested modification.
• City Hall modifies its “no pet” policy in order to allow individuals with service and support animals to enter the premises with their animal so that the person may enjoy the services and programs offered.
• Allowing a person using an electric wheelchair or other mobility device to access areas where electric vehicles are banned.
• Allowing an exception to the City’s setback rule to allow an individual to install a wheelchair ramp in front of the property.
• Assisting someone with a cognitive disability in understanding and filling out a form to receive public assistance benefits.
What Is A Fundamental Alteration?
A fundamental alteration takes place in the rare instance when there may be a significant change in the nature of the service, program, or activity in question because of a reasonable modification.
A person with a disability asks the City Tax Collector’s Office to fill out his or her personal income tax forms. Assisting with income tax is outside of the realm of services that the Tax Collector’s Office offers and therefore this request would significantly alter the nature of their service.
Reasonable Modification in Public Transportation
SPORTRAN will make reasonable modifications to its policies, programs, and procedures applicable to its transportation services, when necessary to avoid discrimination and ensure accessibility for people with disabilities.
Reasonable Modifications do have limitations and are not intended to:
- Cause a direct threat to the health and safety of others
- Create undue financial and administrative burdens
- Constitute a fundamental alteration to a service
- • Not necessary to provide equal access to an SPORTRAN service
Considerations when making a reasonable modification request:
- Individuals requesting modifications shall describe what they need in order to use the service.
- Individuals requesting modifications are not required to use the term “reasonable modification” when making a request.
- Whenever feasible, requests for modifications shall be made and determined in advance, before the transportation provider is expected to provide the modified service, for example, during the para-transit eligibility process, through customer service inquiries, or through SPORTRAN compliant process.
- Where a request for modification cannot practicably be made and determined in advance (e.g., because of a condition or barrier at the destination of which the individual with a disability was unaware until arriving), operating personnel of SPORTRAN shall make a determination of whether the modification should be provided at the time of the request. Operating personnel may consult with SPORTRAN management before making a determination to grant or deny the request.
The request must identify the modification needed in order to use the service. Whenever feasible, please make the request in advance, before the modification is needed to access the service.
Request for Life Line Service: REQUEST FOR ONDEMAND PARATRANSIT SERVICE
See SPORTRAN website for more information on: PARATRANSIT