The State of Louisiana and the City of Shreveport now require certain industrial facilities that have Storm Water Associated With industrial activity to be covered by a permit.
The rules that define who needs a permit can be found at Title 33 Section 3241. B. 14. a-k. of the Louisiana Administrative Code.
The rules may appear somewhat complex and confusing; however, the list below is a simplified guide to assist you to determine if your facility needs a permit. The list uses "SIC" codes to determine if you may need a storm water permit. If you do not know your facility's SIC code, the Standard Industrial Classification Index from the U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Safety & Health Administration can help you. Or, just call us at 673-6583 we'll be glad to assist.
• 1011 thru 1499, mining and mineral extraction
• 2011 thru 3999, manufacturing
• 4011* thru 4581*, transportation
*If facility has vehicle maintenance shops, equipment cleaning operations, fueling, or air port de-icing operations.
• 5015, automobile junkyards
• 5093, metal scrap yards
• 5171, petroleum bulk stations
Additionally, the following types of facilities are required to have storm water permits:
• Hazardous waste treatment, storage, or disposal facilities.
• Landfills, land application sites, and open dumps.
• Steam electric power generating facilities, including coal handling sites.
U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Safety & He