Street & Drainage's primary responsibilities are to maintain and repair dedicated City streets, alleys, underground drainage structures, roadside ditches, drainage canals, mowing, litter control of City street right-of-ways, and contracted State rights-of-way within the City limits.
Assets maintained include:
- 1050 lane miles of concrete streets
- 1202 lane miles of asphalt streets
- 930 miles of roadside ditches
- 408 miles of major drainage canals and ditches
Streets and Drainage is managed by the Superintendent of Streets and Drainage and his Assistant Superintendents. This division has 128 employees including 3 Supervisors and various helpers and laborers, equipment drivers, carpenters, and administrative support.
City of Shreveport Arborist Permit
Any arborists operating within the city shall, in addition to obtaining their occupational license, be required to register with the city by obtaining an annual, renewable permit for the non-refundable fee of $50.00. Such permit will be issued through the Department of Public Works - Streets & Drainage. To obtain the ordinance on this permit go to: City of Shreveport Arborist Permit
To obtain a Arborist Permit complete the following:
- Non-refundable fee of $50.00 - can be paid by check or money order only. Please make check out to City of Shreveport. Cash will not be accepted.
- Bring proof that you are a Licensed Arborist by the State of Louisiana, must be current.
- Picture of your companies vehicle signage, will be taken upon completion of the application process.
- This permit is good for 1 year and must be renewed in February of each year.
- Contact Deborah O'Neal or Nathan Kemps at 318-673-6330 for additional information or to set a time to come in for your Arborist Permit.
The Street Maintenance section is managed by an Assistant Superintendent. He manages crews that perform repairs and/or maintainence on:
- concrete street repairs
- asphalt maintenance
- drainage maintenance
In addition to these responsibilities, his crews are also charged with the following task:
- repairing curb and gutter systems
- public city building parking lots and sidewalks
- street shoulder repairs
- inspection and repair of city maintained bridges.
The Drainage Maintenance section also manages the crews that perform maintenance on all roadside right-of-way ditches and canals, which may include:
- unclogging existing driveway pipes
- reestablishing ditch grades.
- erosion control on the drainage ditches.
- underground drainage system maintenance
- responding and/or repairing plugged or leaking systems
- repair sink holes caused by these systems.
Drainage Maintenance can also arrange for other maintenance entities to take care of drainage systems that fall outside of the city's jurisdiction.
- Forestry - This section also manages a seven-man tree maintenance crew whose responsibility involves removal of dead limbs out of trees that fall within the city right-of-way as well as total removal of dead trees and stumps in city right-of-way, if there is no possibility of saving the tree. Their first goal is to try to save the tree, if possible. Unfortunately, many times this is not possible due to the age of the tree, the amount of death, or the hazardous position of the tree.
- Normally, the trees in the neutral area, between the sidewalk and the curb, are maintained by the property owner; however, the Forestry section will evaluate a tree and advise the property owner of what type of care needs to be performed. Some minor trimming will be accomplished by this crew in the areas where tree limbs create a line-of-site obstruction to the flow of pedestrian and/or vehicular traffic. Some minor trimming for cosmetic reasons will be accomplished in the common neutral areas, such as center medians, when time permits.
- Cleaning of Right-of-Way - This section also handles all mowing and herbicide services along major street rights-of-way and state highways within the city limits. Additionally they perform the following task
- litter pick up on right-of-ways
- cutting and cleaning of alleyways
- edging of curbs
- other special litter pick-up activities